Is the course right for your?
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma is an advanced qualification for ambitious health and safety professionals. It’s perfect for people who already have worked in health and safety want to develop their competence, including:
- Health and Safety Managers, Advisors, or Officers
- Compliance Managers
- Training Coordinators
- Quality, Risk, and Environmental workers
The course will help you expand your skillset so that you can reduce risk in dangerous environments and keep people safe. You’ll also develop your strategic knowledge so that you can improve health and safety across all elements of your company and provide valuable in-house advice at a senior level.
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma requires a foundation level of health and safety. You should already have a confident understanding of key principles, including risk assessment, accident investigation, and health and safety regulation.
You’ll also need to have good writing skills and be able to critically analyze information. We always recommend taking the NEBOSH General Certificate, or having least 5 years of experience working in a health and safety role before taking the NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma. That way you’ll have the right level of knowledge to meet the demands of the course.
Is the NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma recognized in your country?
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma is recognized as the gold standard in health and safety worldwide.
Learners in over 100 countries have taken the NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma, including the UK, UAE, South Africa, Canada, USA, New Zealand, and Australia. Below are just some of the professional membership organizations that recognize the NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma as a route to entry.
- Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH): Graduate (GradIOSH) and Chartered (CMIOSH)
- International Institute of Risk Safety Management (IIRSM): Member (MIIRSM)
- The Australian OHS Education Accreditation Board: Certified OHS Practitioner and Certified OHS Professional
- Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP): Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CRST) and Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- The Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP): Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- New Zealand Institute of Safety Management (NZISM): Graduate Level
- South African Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (SAIOSH): Technical Membership (SAIOSH)
Why take this NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma?
Make sure everyone gets home safely.
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma takes a practical approach to help develop crucial risk management skills. You’ll have the technical knowledge and competence to manage health and safety in dangerous environments and make sure people are working to the proper regulations. By ensuring reducing risk in your workplace, you’ll be able to create a safe and healthy workplace for people to work and visit, help save your employer costs and reach new heights in health and safety.
Enhance your leadership skills
Being a health and safety professional demands strong leadership, communication and teamwork skills, it is as much about managing people and their behavior as it is creating policies
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma will give you the confidence to make decisions, solve-problems, and empower your team to take initiative and be the best they can be. You’ll be able to ensure everyone is working towards the same high standard with a safety-first workforce.
Help your company grow
Health and safety is no longer seen as a bolt-on department. It stands its ground as a strategic function alongside other key-skills such as Finance, Human Resources or Marketing. From improving sickness rates, to protecting the cost of investment, and influencing brand reputation – health and safety has a role to play across every department.
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma will give you the confidence to advise your employer on all areas of health and safety. That way, they’ll be able to make informed, strategic decisions to meet their business objectives.
Transform your career and get that new job
A crucial trait for any aspiring health and safety professional is a dedication to improvement. The most effective, in-demand leaders of today are strategic thinkers, business leaders and have a strong focus on setting strategic vision and driving growth initiatives.
Employers all around the world recognize the NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma as the best of the best. By combining specialist risk management knowledge with business acumen will help you stand out on that all important job front-line.
Add the NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma to your CV and LinkedIn profile and watch those career doors open.
Join a global health and safety community
Being proactive and sharing your knowledge with your industry will get you noticed by employers and your peers. Not only does it help progress the profession and subsequently contribute to the improvement of workplaces everywhere. The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma is approved by professional membership organizations worldwide. That means you’ll be able to join an active community of health and safety professionals, all working towards one global standard. You’ll get access to exclusive groups, networking opportunities, and resources, so you’ll always be in the loop of the latest industry changes and innovations.
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma is recognized as a level-6 vocational qualification on the UK Regulated Qualification Framework (RQF) and Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).
In the Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework (SCQF), it’s recognized as a level 10 with 48 credit points.
In South Africa, it’s recognized as a level 8 worth 120 credits by the South African Qualification Association (SAQA).
Workplace Health and Safety
Controlling Workplace Health
Controlling Workplace Safety
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma has 11 learning outcomes. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Source, develop, evaluate and interpret relevant health and safety information (such as legislation, guidance, best practice, procedures) and communicate it effectively to those who need it.
- Promote a positive health and safety culture by influencing leaders and changing attitudes and behavior.
- Assess, develop and maintain individual and organizational health and safety competence.
- Understand risk management, including the techniques for identifying hazards, the different types of risk assessment, considerations when implementing sensible and proportionate additional control measures, and developing a risk management strategy.
- Develop and implement proactive and reactive health and safety monitoring systems and carry out reviews and auditing of such systems.
- Continually develop your professional skills and ethics to actively influence improvements in health and safety by providing persuasive arguments to workers at all levels.
- Develop a health and safety policy strategy within your organization (including proactive safety, Corporate Social Responsibility and the change management process).
- Contribute to health and safety legal actions.
- Manage contractors and supply chains to ensure compliance with health and safety standards.
- Advise the organization on a range of common workplace health issues/ hazards, including how these can be assessed and controlled and the legal duties associated with these issues/ hazards.
- Advise the organization on a range of common workplace safety issues/ hazards, including how these can be assessed and controlled and the legal duties associated with these issues/ hazards.
Detailed Course Syllabus
ID1: Workplace Health and Safety Principles
1.1 Health and safety regulations
1.4 Civil law
1.5 Damages and liabilities
1.6 Occupiers liability
1.7 Lawful discrimination
2.1 Organizational structures
2.4 Health and safety cultures
2.5 Traditional and proactive safety management
2.6 Risk perception
2.7 Human failures and factors
3.1 Competence, training, information and supervision
3.2 High reliability organizations
4.1 Hazard identification and techniques
4.2 Managing health and safety risks
4.3 Risk management
5.1 Loss causation and quantitative analysis of data
5.2 Measuring and monitoring
6.1 Professional skills
7.1 Societal factors
7.2 Corporate social responsibility
7.3 Organization changes
8.1 Civil proceedings
8.2 Coroners inquest
8.3 Criminal proceedings
8.4 Ethical issues
9.1 Contractors supply chains
ID2: Controlling Workplace Health Issues
10.1 Occupational health and safety services
10.2 Mental ill health, wellbeing, workplace violence, lone working
10.3 Health surveillance
10.4 Hazardous substances
10.5 Health risks from hazardous substances
10.6 Epidemiology and toxicology
10.8 Ventilation and PPE
10.9 Hazardous substance monitoring
10.10 Biological agents
10.14 Musculoskeletal issues and manual handling
10.15 Workplace temperatures and welfare arrangements
ID3: Controlling Workplace Safety Issues
11.1 Safe working environment
11.2 Confined spaces
11.3 Fire and explosion
11.5 Dangerous substances
11.6 Work equipment and machinery maintenance
11.7 Work equipment
11.9 Mobile work equipment and lifting equipment
11.11 Construction, work at height, demolition, excavation
11.12 Workplace transport, work related driving
The NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma is assessed entirely through practical activities and scenario-based questions. Each assessment is completed digitally and submitted to the NEBOSH portal for marking.
- We anticipate that it will take you around 40 hours to complete the DI1 assignment and 20 hours each for the DI2 and DI3 case studies.
- The time-period given for you to complete each assessment reflects this:
- Unit DI1: 4 weeks (20 working days)
- Unit DI2: 2 weeks (10 working days)
- Unit DI3: 2 weeks (10 working days)
You must achieve a pass in all three units to achieve your full NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma. Once you’ve passed all units, your marks will be added together and you’ll be awarded your final qualification grade.
- Pass: 150-195 marks
- Credits: 196-255 marks
- Distinction: 256+ marks
Exam Dates in 2024:
All NEBOSH Level 6 Diploma assessments are open-book assessments. The assessment registration opens twice a year. The registration for the exam is typically 8 weeks before the assessment start date.
NEBOSH will email you your results within 12-14 weeks of sitting your exam. If you haven’t received your results in that time then contact your course provider. They’ll be able to help.
Your hard copy certificate will be sent out shortly after receiving your results. It will display your final qualification grade – pass, credit or distinction.